Construction & Demolition (C&D) waste is the largest waste stream in the EU, representing about one third of all waste produced in terms of volume. EC initiatives such as the EU Construction & Demolition Waste Management Protocol (2016), the Construction 2020 Strategy (2012), the Communication on Resource Efficiency Opportunities in the Building Sector (2014), and essentially the Circular Economy Package (2015), demonstrate a strong will at EU level to raise awareness and build knowledge in the EU construction sector regarding C&D waste management. This has in turn resulted in an increased need for up-skilled construction technicians, especially site managers, properly trained and knowledgeable in C&D waste management procedures capable to:
- Supervise on-site works regarding waste identification, separation & collection at source
- Execute waste management plans for site-works
- Ensure the health & safety processes
- Consult with customers, workers and other involved agents
The project aims to support Vocational Education and Training (VET) provision for site managers in C&D waste by: addressing modern training needs in accordance with EU priorities regarding waste management, and developing Open Educational Resources (OERs) that ensure easy and free access to on-line training and certification. The project forms a strategic partnership that brings together actors from both education (dynamic VET providers for the construction sector in the partnership countries) and employment (major construction industry stakeholders). Following this aim, the project will develop an innovative course on construction and demolition (C&D) waste management, to support site managers to address modern skills needs with regards to environmental sustainability awareness, knowledge, supervision and site organisation competences.
- Develop relevant learning outcomes and a modular course to address C&D waste management skills needs as regards identification, separation & collection at source.
- Introduce open-access training methods in the field (OERs and a Vocational Open Online Course – VOOC).
- Promote a framework for the integration of C&D waste management skills into EU certification and standardisation schemes.
The CODESMA Partnership
The partnership comprises 5 organisations from 5 countries from the world of VET, the construction industry, and research experts. Coventry University (COVUNI) conducts R&D and provides education and training for the construction industry in the UK. The Polish Association of Building Managers (PSMB) represents the construction managers’ sector needs at national and EU-wide level. The Hellenic Society for the Promotion of Research and Development Methodologies (PROMEA) is an expert in innovative VET methodologies and VOOC development. The Bildungszentren des Baugewerbes e.V. (BZB) and the Vilnius Builders Training Centre (VSRC) are specialising in developing highly relevant, job-specific VET programs and courses.
The CODESMA project is expected to have the following impact and long term benefits:
- Promote the participation of a growing number of VET learners using the CODESMA OERs and VOOC through dissemination, exploitation and maintenance activities for three years after the project’s completion, based on partners' own effort.
- Support at least 20 VET providers across the EU to enhance new training programs by integrating the CODESMA outputs.
- Further maturing of certification & accreditation policies, as a result of the developed framework or the integration of C&D waste management skills into EU certification and standardisation schemes, and in particular via the distribution and circulation of the CODESMA position paper to authorities and policy makers.
- Site managers in the construction industry
- VET providers for the construction sector across Europe
- Stakeholders and associations in the construction sector
- Policy makers